Autumn 2021 - Spring 2022
An in-depth training in somatic meditation.
Meditating with the Body is a training program developed by the Buddhist scholar and meditation teacher Dr. Reggie Ray. In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, the body is considered to be the gateway to enlightenment - to discover the body is to discover awareness and our own most direct and effective path to profound spiritual transformation.
Designed for beginning and experienced meditators alike, this in-depth training focuses on a series of powerful body-based meditation practices drawn from Tibetan Yoga. The comprehensive five-month program cultivates learning and discovery through systematic study, intensive practice, and integration of the practices into daily life.
Meditating with the Body is organized into a curriculum of 12 Units of teachings and somatic practices that unfold over the course of 24 months. New units are released weekly every other Monday. You can engage with the course material at any time during the week at your own pace. We recommend setting aside 8-10 hours per week to engage with the course including 30–45 minutes of daily guided meditation practice.
Each week we will meet live on Zoom with the course instructors for talks, guided practice, and discussion.
The 24 week course includes:
- 12 units of curriculum talks and audio guided meditations by Dr. Reggie Ray
- 24 live Zoom gatherings with the course instructors, Libby Weathers and Jonathan Daniel
- Three at-home weekend retreats held at the beginning, middle, and end of the program. Each retreat will include live Zoom sessions with talks, guided meditations, question and answer sessions, and small group discussions.
- Downloadable PDFs of articles, content outlines, guided meditation summaries, and selected readings.
- Assigned readings from Reggie's books Touching Enlightenment and The Awakening Body.
- Curriculum audio downloads
- November 4 - May 1
- October: Retreat planning meetings (to be announced)
- November 4: Website orientation opens
- November 5-7: First online retreat
- November 8: Unit 1 of the at-home curriculum launches
- January 21-23: Second online retreat
- April 25: Completion of the at-home curriculum
- April 28 - May 1: Third online retreat
Curriculum Teacher: Dr. Reggie Ray
Dr. Reginald “Reggie” Ray is the co-founder and Spiritual Director of the Dharma Ocean Foundation, dedicated to the evolution and flowering of the somatic teachings of Tibetan Tantra. He is a lineage holder in the tradition of Chögyam Trungpa, Rinpoche. The author of many books, audio courses, and online series, Reggie’s work and teachings draw from his background as a Buddhist academic and practitioner. His PhD is in the History of Religions from the Divinity School of the University of Chicago. After a personal invitation from Chögyam Trungpa, Reggie became the first full-time faculty member and chair of the Buddhist Studies (later Religious Studies) Department at Naropa University. Over more than 30 years he grew the department, developing with Trungpa Rinpoche many initiatives and projects that became signatures of Naropa. Reggie remains engaged in the transmission of this lineage through his involvement with Dharma Ocean students, the creation of new offerings such as this course, and in his lifelong work as a student and as a teacher.
Course Instructor: Libby Weathers
Libby has been studying and practicing Buddhism for 15-years and holds a degree in Contemplative Psychology. She began studying with Reggie Ray at Naropa University in 2007 and first completed the Meditating with the Body program in 2009. Professionally, Libby trains business leaders in developing purpose and presence through mindfulness and neuroscience. A depth of continued awakening over her years of study and practice inspires her dedication to this lineage. Libby is deeply connected to the natural beauty, warm waters, and sacredness of Hawaii where she spends most of her time.
Course Instructor: Jonathan Daniel
Jonathan began his journey with meditation in the forests of Colorado and Alaska in 1994. He began studying with Dr. Reggie Ray in 1997 at the University of Colorado, and receiving practice instruction from him at Karma Dzong in Boulder, CO. Jonathan worked for many years as a hospice chaplain in Denver before becoming inspired by the possibilities of helping people across the globe access the Dharma Ocean teachings through digital media. He enjoys practicing meditation with the small Dharma Ocean sangha in Denver and also alone in high mountain meadows. Jonathan currently resides in Crestone, CO.
- The course runs from November 4 to May 1
- Registration closes November 2
- Early bird price: $820 (ends September 27)
- Regular price: $999
- 10% discount for Dharma Ocean supporting members. For the checkout code, please email: [email protected]
- If you have previously participated in Meditating with the Body course, you are warmly invited to attend this year's course at a discount. For details, please email: [email protected]
If you currently have financial hardship and find the cost of this program prohibitive, prior to registering, please email us at [email protected] for a financial assistance application.
When you enter your name and email in the checkout section, the system will determine if you already have an online course account associated with the email. If so, you will receive a prompt to enter your password. If not, please create an account to complete the registration.
We use PayPal to process payments. You can choose to either check out with a PayPal account or as a guest without an account.
If your payment fails to process, please clear your browser history and cookie cache, close and reopen the browser, and process the payment. If challenges persist, please email us at [email protected]